Female GCC students are invited to the Young Women’s Leadership Summit

The Young Women’s Leadership Summit is a conference that invites young women between the ages of 15 to 28 to gain more leadership skills and confidence about their political beliefs.

“You get first class activism training from women who have experienced the politic sphere from Kimberly Guilfoyle to Nikki Haley. You’re getting leadership training, experience and incentives to become a better activist for yourself and your community,” said Karen Gamez.

Gamez is a student that attended the summit last year. While there, she was able to network with women around her age that are in the political sphere. Gamez is a political science major and was able to meet fellow women and activists that are interested in the same goal as she.

“I met some of my closest conservative female friends ever. I heard big name people, like Ben Shapiro, speak. I heard a lot of women from different backgrounds,” Gamez said.

This year, the conference will be presenting several speakers such as Judge Jeanine Pirro, Charlie Kirk, Dr. Gina Loudon and many more. Most, but not all, of the speakers come from a Republican political background, speaking to unite women and share experiences.

“[You are taught at the conference] you are a strong, independent woman who needs to understand the law of the land, respect each other and the diversity, but most importantly stay together when trying to achieve what you want to do for the world,” Gamez said.

Events Aministrator Director Lauren Toncich was just promoted earlier this year. She is in charge of the Women’s Summit and making sure it goes smoothly.

“It allows attendees interested in politics to learn about other ideas and get involved in politics and network,” Toncich said.

The conference is especially important for college students. Toncich and Gamez both believe that in college, students are unable to speak up about their beliefs, often afraid of being ridiculed and ostracized within the community.

“Conservative women college students feel alone in their beliefs. It’s common that professors will share their views in the classroom,” Toncich said. Toncich also made the point that college professors have been known to grade people with opposing beliefs less.

This conference is for female students to learn how to be confident in what they believe in and to combat the negativity that is thrown their way for being open about politics.

“It’s not to combat the left,” said Toncich, “but to educate students about their beliefs and to really give people tools and knowledge.”

People from not just the conservative side of the political spectrum but all sides are invited to attend. The conference allows women to learn about politics and create their own viewpoints based off of what they have learned. To assure this, Toncich invites speakers to speak about a variety of topics and from different political affiliations to make the conference less biased. Most of the speakers are also women so that there is more of a connection between the speakers and the attendees.

In the past, women that have attended have seen positive results. Toncich said that she has received emails from past attendees that praise the summit and tell stories of learning to speak out about their beliefs. The goal is to empower women and keep it as inexpensive as possible.

“It’s a pretty sweet deal. It’s very inexpensive, if you apply early and you attend you can get your flight subsidized, your hotel subsidized and the hotel is connected to where the summit will be held so it’s safe and it’s cheap,” Gamez said.

The Young Women’s Leadership Summit will be held June 6-9 and is expecting around 1,500 women to attend. The application deadline for attendance is May 24 and students from any political affiliation or background are encouraged to join.