The Voice

GCC Honors Panel

On April 13, 2019, the Glendale Community College Student Honors Society will host the Honors Panel from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Student Union, room 104DE.

This is the second annual Panel that SHO will present. The project, originally created by former Ashely Mazariegos, is now carried on by Alejandra Maya. “I took on this project because I believe I have the responsibility to spread the word to my community. I have a great team working on this Panel, it will be a success,” said Maya.

According to the “Why Choose Honors?” column in the GCC website, honors courses will teach students to think critically, communicate effectively, demonstrate integrity, and be productive global citizens.

A panel of five students and three professors will share their personal experience of how they have benefitted from being in the program.

The academic expectations of being enrolled in honors classes and the extracurricular and volunteer activities that must be completed each semester will be discussed. The attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and listen to the testimonies of current students and professors, outside the panel, who are part of the Honors Program.

Transfer specialists from the in-state universities have also been invited to attend the event and share their expertise on the matter of pursuing a more challenging career path and how that will affect the transition to a four-year institution.

“There is a stigma that community colleges are inferior to four-year-universities because people don’t know the advantages of attending a school like GCC. Not only did the Honors Program cover my tuition, but it introduced me to a community where I finally belonged,” Cedellar Zula, a recipient of the Presidential Scholarship said.

Incoming freshmen are invited to attend the event to learn what the Honors Program has to offer.