The Voice

GCC is looking for students interested in the Student Ambassador Program

The enrollment center at Glendale Community College is looking for students who are interested in becoming student ambassadors. Student Ambassadors is a paid program that is directed by Alyssa Clay, an employee here at Glendale Community College, that involves greeting and assisting students that come to the enrollment center in need.

“The best part is that it allows you to get to know your campus better while sharing resources and experiences with fellow students,” Alyssa Clay said.

Student Ambassadors gives students the opportunity to connect with other students on campus that are having trouble with enrollment or have general questions. It teaches students how to work with large organizations and network to get the help they need. It creates leadership skills that students can carry with them throughout life as well as how to manage difficult situations they come across.

The enrollment center is looking for students who want to help out in their community and are interested in working in the enrollment center. Clay said the job is specifically for people who want to be a part of the program, and that it enriches student’s lives by showing them how they can brighten up one’s day.

An example of this is current Student Ambassador Lorna Ramos. Ramos has encountered many pleasant experiences while working in the enrollment center.

“I like that there is really good energy. Everyone is caring and nice… [I like it when] you are helping people and they get really excited after you are helping them,” Ramos said.

An enjoyable part of being a student ambassador is being able to see how one could make a difference in their community.

Ramos recounted a time when she was feeling down and a non-traditional student approached her. Ramos had assisted this student in the past and he recognized her. The student blessed her and described how thankful he had been for her help. Ramos said it brightened her day and was a rewarding experience.

“At the end of the day you feel relieved you helped these people and they came out satisfied,” Clay said.

Applications for the Student Ambassadors program are being accepted until April 14th, 2019. Students can pick up paper applications in the enrollment building.

“I would encourage anyone who is interested to apply. We really like to capture a diverse group of candidates,” Clay said.