The Voice

African-American History Month Display

GLENDALE, Ariz. – A display is now up in the Glendale Community College Student Union recognizing African-American Heritage month. It is available for viewing from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Faculty members and staff said the purpose of the display is to inform students and visitors about the lives and history of African-Americans. The display is located near the cafeteria in the Student Union.

According to history professor John Coughlin, his favorite thing about the display is that it makes students aware of what African-American people have had to deal with in their lives, particularly related to race. He said that the but display makes important issues known, however, it may fall short in that it does not go in-depth of the struggles of African-Americans.

The display contains Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous “I Have A Dream” speech (1963) and a famous photo of Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat on the bus. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white commuter on the bus and she was arrested for it on Dec. 1, 1955. Martin Luther King Jr. was a famous civil rights leader who stood up against segregation and led The March on Washington in 1963. According to some sources, the struggle for equality remains alive today.

Coughlin said that the display is posted annually at Glendale Community College during African-American history month since he can remember. Other programming includes a talk by social worker and public speaker, Clay Dix, Feb. 13 from 11 a.m. to noon in Student Union Room SU104E, “A Story A Story: African and African-American Oral Tradition & Storytelling” talk presented by Dr. Akua Duku Anokye Feb. 19 from 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. in SU104 ABC, a presentation by Michael Kelly called “Red, Blue and White: The Third Reconstruction” and soul food-themed food trucks on the lawn of the main campus mall Wednesdays all month.

About the Writer