GCC North club fair welcomes students

Back to Article
Back to Article

GCC North club fair welcomes students

GCC student Aleksander Gomez welcomes students at GCC North Club Fair.

Glendale Community College North hosted a club fair. The event took place on Wednesday, Sept. 12 from 9 a.m.-11 a.m. The event was held in the North Courtyard. Students could see what clubs would be available for them to join.

GCC North is 5727 W Happy Valley Rd. That is between 67 Ave. and 55 Ave. The campus offers classes, has a cafeteria and a school library.

Among the clubs were Glendale Community College North Hiking Club, Associated Student Government (ASG), Student Loan Support and Mental Health Club.

Eliana Baltazar is a club member of the GCCN Hiking Club. She is a sophomore at GCC. She said that “[Hiking] is good to include in your academic life.”

In an email from the club advisor Karrie Wood, she said that students can meet at the chosen location at 8 a.m. Students can also meet in the GCC North parking lot west of the A-Building at 7:45 a.m. for carpooling. Anyone participating the hike will be required to bring at least two quarts of drinking. Sturdy shoes are also a must. Hats and sunscreen are highly recommended.

GCCN Hiking Club will have their next event on Friday, Oct. 5. The selected trail will be Deem Hills Recreation Area (West) in Phoenix, AZ. It is marked as difficult and will roughly be a two-hour hike. Because of wildlife, students must sign a liability waiver before participating in any hikes. Students can email the club advisor at [email protected]

Students can follow GCCN Hiking Club on Instagram, gccnhikingclub and like their Facebook page, GCCN Hiking Club.

Many students take out loans to pay for education. Students sometimes run into trouble finding ways to pay back the money. Dariyea Hollins works for the district office services of the Student Loan Support. This group assists students to repay student loans within Maricopa. Hollins said that they offer scholarships, financial literacy and workshops.

For their resources, visit mcccdf.org/scholarships.

Club president Gerardo Nava excited to meet students for the Mental Health Club.

Gerardo Nava is president of the Mental Health Club. The club is also at GCC Main. He said he is trying to expand members and that this club helps with “seeing what’s out there for them.”

He said that mental wellness effects students’ careers.

ASG was also at the club fair. According to their flyer, the ASG “is dedicated to serve the representative voice of Glendale Community College students and create a place of participate responsibly in a culturally diverse, technological and global society. ”

ASG meetings are held the first, third, and fifth Tuesday (if there is one) of every month at 1:30 p.m., SU-104D.