Featured Athletes

By Warren Brannoch

Jazmine Mays

Jazmine Mays, a freshman point guard from Ironwood High School is averaging 4.5 points per game for Glendale’s women’s basketball team this season. Mays is also one of the top rebounders on the team with 2.5 per game. Coming into the 2011-2012 season, there were high expectations for Jazmine as she received honorable mention in the 5A Class for women’s basketball, as selected by the Arizona Republic. Ironwood finished last season losing in the semi-finals to Pinnacle. Mays averaged 13.8 points per game during her senior season. Mays will look to improve her stats towards the end of the season, as the Gauchos face teams that are below them in the conference in upcoming games. Mays has led Glendale to an (11-11) record so far this season, and will look to lead the Gauchos to the playoffs once again.

Kevin Grey

Glendale basketball sophomore guard Kevin Grey, majoring in accounting is looking to march his team right into the playoffs for this season. Coming On the 2011-2012 season, Grey is averaging 9.818 points per game, a 77 percent free throw percentage, and is leading the team in assists with 3.5, which is also good enough for ninth in the conference in 22 games played.
Grey graduated from Cortez High School in 2009. During his Senior season averaging 15.6 points per game, and 6.5 assists per game. He led his team to an overall record of (20-5), losing in the state playoffs to Greenway High School.
With the Gauchos playing against teams that are above them in the conference coming up, Grey will look to launch his team into the playoffs and improve his stats to one of the top in the ACCAC Conference.