Updates for the spring semester have been announced

Dec. 18, 2020, Glendale, Ariz., (Makayla O’Bannon/The Voice)

GLENDALE, Ariz. – The first day of spring semester for the Maricopa County Community College District officially began Jan. 19, and new information has been announced about how it will continue.

As of Jan. 13, the recommendation from the Maricopa County Department of Health to cancel all indoor sports until Feb. 1 was fulfilled apart from men’s and women’s basketball and women’s volleyball. The preceding sports have cancelled their entire seasons. The remainder of the spring sports, including baseball, softball, track and field, golf, soccer, among others will continue practices and games in February.

Classes will continue to be online, live-online, or hybrid. There will be no chance of returning to in-person after spring break. There has been a significant increase 8-week classes offered this spring semester compared to last spring.

More recently, Palm’s Cave, the cafeteria in the Student Union at Glendale Community College Main campus, is reopening during the start of the semester, according to an email sent from GCC Administration. Their hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday. The food pantry will also continue to stay open for those who need it. All other food services provided: Grounds for Thought, Gaucho Café, and Avenue C will all remain closed for the entirety of the Spring 2021 semester.

Positive coronavirus cases reported at GCC have been fortunately low. Since March 2020 through the first week in January 2021, there have only been a total of 86 confirmed cases for both campuses according to the same email from GCC Administration.

This is a relatively low number compared to many other colleges and universities in the state. GCC acknowledges their COVID-19 procedures and policies as the reason why the number is so low.

Social distancing signs are pervasive through both campuses to remind students and faculty to stay 6 feet apart and wear facial coverings while visiting. Sanitization and cleaning are taken extremely seriously as well. Students and faculty are reminded to clean sanitize their workspace after they are done to ensure as much as a germ-free area as possible.