Associated Student Government sponsors Netflix watch party

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, Associated Student Government is hosting a virtual Netflix watch party for Glendale Community college. Students and faculty can gather to watch “Stand and Deliver” Oct. 9 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Staff and students can join the Netflix Watch Party by going to the RSVP links provided by ASG. The links can be accessed through the ASG Facebook page, ASG Instagram, or through the Student Leadership Bulletin Board. RSVP is mandatory to attend.

On the day of the event, students will be sent a link 10 to 15 minutes before to join the Netflix Watch Party.

For people to join they must have a Netflix account with a Netflix Watch Party extension installed on their browser. According to ASG President Abel Haddis, they are not able to buy a subscription for anyone who does not have an account, so everyone must already have an account.

“Our Netflix Nights are designed to provide students with the opportunity to engage with us,” Haddis said. Not only will ASG will use Netflix Watch Party to show the film, but it is also an opportunity to connect with students.

In the Netflix Watch Party, students will watch the film together at the same time. There will be a chat box where students can interact with one another and share their reactions to the film.

“What I hope to get out of this event is to connect with my fellow peers about our culture and where we come from,” Glendale Community College student Christopher Zapata said. “The reason being is that the Latino community exists, but since we are so busy in our day to day tasks I feel that we forget that we are part of something bigger, that we have people who are struggling the same way that we are.” He hopes the movie nights create a sense a unity at GCC. Zapata attended the previous movie night and will attend the next movie night as well.

ASG also held movie nights Sept. 11 and 25. They showed the films “Zookeeper” and “Frida”. This is the third movie night that ASG will host.

“I believe that events like these give students an excellent opportunity to stay connected to GCC in these unprecedented times,” Haddis said. ASG has also advertised this event as a way for students to come together and watch a movie since the movie theaters are currently closed.

ASG used multiple platforms to promote the movie nights and other events. The platforms they used to promote their events are Facebook, Instagram, and the Student Leadership Bulletin Board.