COVID-19 affects the classroom and athletics at Maricopa Community College District

Photo+by%3A+Kaylee+Cluff%2C++Mesa+Community+College+student+Paige+Cathcart+checks+her%0Aemail+looking+for+updates+from+Canvas+or+from+her+instructors.+

Photo by: Kaylee Cluff, Mesa Community College student Paige Cathcart checks her email looking for updates from Canvas or from her instructors.

The COVID-19 virus has impacted students in the Maricopa Community College district in several unanticipated ways. Students from MCCCD suddenly saw their courses shift to online or hybrid, and activities such as sports have been postponed.

“There were many of my classes that I was excited to take in person, but due to COVID we have all changed to virtual learning,” said Kendall Chittick, a student enrolled at Estrella Mountain Community College. Learning online is not ideal for most students, and, depending on the person, can be more complicated. Mackenzie Morgan, a student attending Estrella Mountain Community College, said “online school is much harder to navigate than in person classes.” Since some students are not virtual learners, this can create issues with what and how the student learns.

Enrollment has dropped significantly compared to last school year. According to the MCCCD website, there were 114,775 students enrolled in one of the Maricopa Community Colleges in the Spring 2020 semester. This number dropped to 102,127 students in the Fall 2020 semester.

Not only has COVID-19 influenced students’ academics and enrollment, but it has also had an effect on athletics. “Tennis was cancelled after spring break, which really upset me,” said Anthony Kulik, a student at Glendale Community College. Kulik has been playing tennis for years and has been practicing all semester and summer. All Maricopa Community College spring sports were cancelled this past semester, and all fall sports are being postponed until the Spring 2021 semester.

Not only is this news upsetting to fans who enjoy attending games, but for the student athletes and coaches as well. COVID-19 affected practice times and places. Now all sports are will occur all at once. Practice fields or gyms will be occupied with all sports, which can make scheduling harder on the athletes and coaches.

For more information about how the COVID-19 virus has changed the MCCCD district, visit their website.