Glendale Community College clubs adapt to virtual learning by hosting their own online meetings

Photo+by%3A+Kaylee+Cluff%2C+%0A+An+image+of+a+University+student%E2%80%99s+workplace+now+that+college+is+online+for+Maricopa+Community+College+students.+Nearly+139%2C000+students+attend+at+one+of+Maricopa+Community+Colleges+scattered+throughout+the+state+of+Arizona.+

Photo by: Kaylee Cluff, An image of a University student’s workplace now that college is online for Maricopa Community College students. Nearly 139,000 students attend at one of Maricopa Community Colleges scattered throughout the state of Arizona.

GLENDALE, Ariz. – The recent closure of in-person services at Glendale Community College, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has forced many of its major clubs to learn, adapt, and rebuild so that may continue serving students.

The transition from serving students in-person to online has required GCC clubs to find new ways of operating online.

“We have heard from most of the clubs that they have successfully transitioned to virtual meetings. There are some clubs that are still working to get their club meetings set up online for this semester,” said Student Life Student Service Specialist Justina Burks. Burks went on to say that Student Life is hoping to encourage students to join clubs via the virtual club fair.

Phi Theta Kappa, the honors society at GCC, has adapted to the current times by developing a Canvas page. It was created as a way for PTK members to get involved and stay informed about upcoming events. In addition, the Canvas page is a way for PTK members to catch up on missed meetings.

The loss of many of Phi Theta Kappa’s active members has forced them to rebuild. “We’re trying to build with Rome with just sticks and stones,” said club director Payton Sparks. PTK currently plans on recruiting new club members through the virtual club fair which will be held Sept. 29 to Oct. 1.

While their closed business meetings are still being held in person, the Associated Student Government is holding open business meetings via Zoom on the first and third Tuesday of each month. “The purpose of those meetings is to hear from the clubs and organizations at GCC, as well as from students,” said Associated Student Government President Abel Haddis.

Los Quetazales Spanish Club has adjusted to the closure of in-person services by planning virtual meetings for the months of September, October, and December. Arts and crafts lessons that were once held in person will now be held virtually. Los Quetazales plans on teaching students’ traditional crafts with materials that can be accessed at home.

Prior to the closure of in-person services, Los Quetazales pr

ovided students with a “merienda,” -a traditional snack between lunch and dinner- to teach them about Hispanic culture. This also served as a recruiting tool, but Los Quetazales has since had to find new ways of enrolling new members.

Transitioning from in-person to virtual meetings was relatively smooth for Christian Challenge, according to club vice president Tyrel Milam. Tyrel is cooperating with Christian Challenge clubs across different colleges continuing community events in a safe manner. Christian Challenge has been relying on word of mouth to recruit new students into the club.

“We will continue online probably until Summer 2021,” said club adviser Dr. Kimberly Smith. The Environmental Club is currently hosting virtual meetings via Zoom and is planning on continuing to host their club online until next summer. The Environmental Club is currently recruiting new members by reaching out to students’ environmental related courses.

For more information regarding club meetings or the upcoming club fair, visit the GCC website or contact the Office of Student Life.