Letter from the Online Editor: thank you for everything

Last April 26, Marvel Studios released “Avengers: Endgame” a film 22 movies and over ten years in the making. It served as the epic conclusion of the “Infinity Saga” and as a goodbye to the original six Avengers. Tony Stark summed it up best.

“Part of the journey is the end.”

This all may sound a little dramatic, but I relate a lot of things in life to “Marvel” movies and “Star Wars.” Sorry.

The point is, I have never liked goodbyes. Even though it is something you have to do many, many times in your life, and probably not a unique dislike.

I have had my fair share of them. From performing in my last high school theatre show to seeing friends move away, saying goodbye has never gotten easier, and likely never will.

It has been nearly a year since I was encouraged to apply to be the new online editor. That year has flown by in blink of an eye. In that time, I have grown as a journalist and a person more than I could have dreamed of. I have also gotten to work on several projects and stories that I am very proud of.

HT2-125 has become a second home to me over the past year and a half. And what has made that second home so special is the people I have shared it with. I have made some of my best friends in this newsroom.

I would not have been able to have grown as much as I have without everyone who has supported me.  There are 100 people that I want to thank. This has to end at some point, though, so I will try (key word ‘try’) to keep it brief. I first want to thank our adviser, Jenna Duncan.

Thank you so much Ms. Duncan for giving me this opportunity and believing in me. I am forever grateful for all that you have taught me this past year and a half. You have helped shape me into the journalist I am today, and I would not be here without your support.

Seth Askelson, you have not only been the best Editor-in-Chief I could ask for, but also an even better mentor and friend. From giving me the opportunity to cover professional sports for the first time and announcing baseball and softball games, I am indebted to you for all of the opportunities you have opened up for me. Our deep dives down the Pro Football Reference rabbit hole discussing obscure NFL players and games have been legendary.

I also would not have been able to do this without my first Editor-in-Chief, Lauren Bookwalter. Lauren believed in me when I was not sure that I believed in myself, and helped me gain confidence as a brand new reporter. When I was very anxious before interviews, or unsure of myself, your support meant the world.  I am beyond thankful for your friendship, and all you have done for me.

A couple other notes of gratitude for Karen Gamez and Lawrence De Alva. You are two of the best friends I have ever had, and I will always hold the semester we worked together close to my heart. Jonah Hernandez Morales, I am very appreciative of you showing me the ropes of my position and answering all my questions before, leading up to and after the year began. You are so incredibly kind and talented.

There are so many others I would like to thank but could not fit. Please know that you all have made a huge impact on my life, and I appreciate you.

Last but certainly not least, thank you to our readers for your support of our newspaper, and our digital content like 2020 Vision. It is an honor and a privilege to tell the stories of the GCC community. I have gotten to meet so many interesting people who are doing incredible things from all across campus. Highlighting their goals, passions and accomplishments.

With it being our first ever semester without a print paper, this semester was already going to be a very experimental one. Having to adapt to working remotely was the biggest challenge of them all. Despite that, I am so proud of how our staff has risen to this challenge during this time. Most importantly, we have been able to continue our mission of keeping our community informed on the news that affects them most.

There are so many good memories I will hold dear forever. Late night print deadline days, being awarded a Best of Show honorable mention at the Associated Collegiate Press convention in February, and the time spent in our newsroom.

I discussed not liking goodbyes earlier. New beginnings, and the uncertainty that comes with them, can be just as intimidating. Transferring to university is one of those intimidating new beginnings. Even so, the new can be just as exciting as it is scary, if it is embraced.

I told myself I would not make another “Star Wars” reference, but I guess I’m still going too.

Gauchos, it has been one of the honors of my life being your Online Editor.

May the force be with you, always.

Michael Manny

Online Editor, 2019-2020.