Maricopa Community College District cancels in-person summer classes

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19,  Maricopa County Community College District Interim Chancellor Dr. Steven Gonzales has announced all Summer 2020 courses will be delivered in an online format only.

Neither of the two summer sessions for online classes will be delivered in-person or in hybrid formats.

“Our highest priority is the health and well-being of our community and we will continue to follow public health guidelines in all decisions we make,” Gonzales said. “At the same time, we will continue to adapt as necessary so that our students can stay on track and maintain their academic momentum.”

The first summer session for classes will begin May 26 and end June 25.  The second session begins June 29 and will end on July 30. However, some courses may begin on May 26 and go into the second session, but end on July 16.

As of April 23, the number of coronavirus cases has reached 5,769 cases, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services’ daily website update.  Maricopa County is currently the county with the most cases, with 2,970 current cases.

Several students within the Maricopa Community Colleges are already struggling with the current change to online classes for the Spring Semester.

“It’s pretty difficult for students who need to take 200 level courses that are difficult such as math or science classes,” Glendale Community College education major Judith Hernandez said.

Hernandez also said that “Students who want to graduate on time need to take these classes in the summer, but the online method makes it hard to learn the actual material.  Although students understand these measures need to be taken for our own safety, it just feels like we won’t learn as much as we could if the courses were in-person.”

However, all Maricopa Community Colleges are trying to make resources available for students to get the help they need.  Tutoring is being provided online for students who are having trouble in their courses.

Summer 2020 classes have been made available on the Maricopa Community College website and students may already begin to enroll in them. However, the website has not currently updated the location of the classes, which will all be held online.

This online format may carry over into the fall semester.  Several universities and colleges around the country are considering canceling in-person classes until 2021.

The district is also making sure that students are notified of any recent changes or events that are being caused. The district is providing a biweekly COVID-19 newsletter and has updated its webpage for specific COVID-19 updates.

Although these times are causing uncertainty and change, Gonzales said that he remains positive.

“I’m honored to serve as the interim chancellor during this time and I’m so proud of the Maricopa leadership, faculty and staff, and most importantly, I’m thankful to our students for their patience and their resolve during this difficult time,” Gonzales said during the April 7 Governing Board Meeting. “I want to let you know that we are Maricopa strong, and we will not only overcome this challenge in time, but we will learn to thrive within it.”