MCCCD Commencement ceremonies cancelled

Arizona Federal Theatre (formerly Comerica) was set to be the host of Glendale Community College's commencement ceremony before it was cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak. (Seth Askelson/ The Voice)

GLENDALE, Ariz. – All Maricopa Community College commencement and convocation ceremonies scheduled for April and May have been cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak, Interim Chancellor Dr. Steven Gonzales announced in a release March 26.

“We are as disappointed as you with this development,” Gonzales said. “Commencements and the surrounding celebrations are the best events of our year, so it was not an easy decision to make, but we must put health and safety first, adhering to the direction state and local governments have given.”

Gonzales said that the district is “exploring other options to bring together our graduates and their families at a later date in other venues when we can celebrate without health and safety concerns.”

Glendale Community College President Dr. Teresa Leyba Ruiz also sent an email update to students.

“While we are all extremely sad to not be able to celebrate you and your success at commencement in May, we are so very proud of you and what you have accomplished and will accomplish in the future,” Leyba Ruiz said in the email. “What is most important is that you should be extremely proud of yourself and your achievement.”

In-person and hybrid classes have been suspended until April 5, where they will then be transitioned to an online environment for the rest of the semester. Online courses have continued as scheduled.

Spring break was extended for in-person students through Friday, March 20, and all student activities have been cancelled. The National Junior College Athletic Association has cancelled all spring sports seasons.

Commencement was originally scheduled for May 9 at 10 a.m. at Arizona Federal (formerly Comerica) Theatre.

To stay informed on the latest district developments, visit https://www.maricopa.edu/coronavirus-covid-19. For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Arizona, visit https://www.azdhs.gov/.

*This story has been updated for spelling and to include a message from GCC President Dr. Teresa Leyba Ruiz regarding commencement.