French Club taking study abroad trip to Quebec and Montreal

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Glendale Community College French Club is planning a study abroad trip to Montreal and Quebec, Canada, May 17-30. The trip is open to anyone enrolled at GCC.

Dr. Bel Quiros-Winemiller

Dr. Bel Quiros-Winemiller

Dr. Bel Quiros-Winemiller

The Glendale Community College French club is taking a trip to Canada to get experience speaking beginning French and to gain more knowledge about the cities of Quebec and Montreal.

This trip is taking place from May 17 to May 30. informational meetings that will discuss the trip are going to be held in room HU-111 from 2-3 p.m.  Feb. 13, March 19 and April 2.

This trip was originally planned by world languages Assistant Department Chair Dr. Bel Quiros-Winemiller.

“The whole thing started about a year ago when I wanted to create some sort of study abroad so my students will be able to experience the language,” Winemiller said.

Anyone who enrolls at Glendale Community College can attend the study abroad program. There is limited space, so it’s recommended to sign up soon.

The total cost for the trip is $2025 and includes transportation, breakfast, welcome and farewell meals, lodging and study materials. With this study abroad program students have the option to pay installments throughout the next few months or pay the full price in April. The first installment will be due Feb. 7.

Montreal and Quebec are two French speaking cities located in Canada. According to an article by Sarah Adam in 2018, Montreal and Quebec City were some of the safest cities in Canada.

Montreal is considered the cultural capital of Canada. Quebec City is the capitol of the province Quebec. Many people in Montreal are bilingual so this makes it less difficult for the students who just started learning French to understand the language.

“The purpose is that they learn about the culture, learn about the history. I want it to be a very cultural experience beside the linguistic part of it. This is a perfect place to do this transition,” Winemiller said.

The club will be spending a week in Montreal and one week in Quebec. Some places that they will be going to include: Montmorency Falls, the underground city in Montreal, Aux Anciens Canadiens, Notre Dame of Quebec, Notre Dame Basilique de Montréal, Saint Catherine Street and Habitat 67.

Montmorency Falls is larger than Niagara Falls and includes a double zip line. Aux Anciens Canadiens is the oldest house in Quebec, built in 1675, and has now been transformed into a restaurant.

Rafael Najera said, “I think if someone is interested in maybe learning or being able to practice French, I think this is a great opportunity.”

The club can take up to fifteen people on the trip and will need fifteen paid students by April 15. To find out more information about the program contact Dr. Winemiller at [email protected] or 623-845-3744 or visit the study abroad page on the GCC website.