Spring Club Fair returns to GCC main campus

GLENDALE, Ariz. – The Student Leadership Center at Glendale Community College is hosting the Spring Club Fair Feb. 4 and 5 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the main campus.

During the event, clubs will be converging outside at the center of campus. They use this publicized event to recruit members and inform the public about their missions.

It allows for students on campus to see a less academic environment and more of a friendly association that interests them outside of their field of study. These clubs and organizations do not discriminate against what year of college these students are in, which provides for a wide variety.

The fair offers an extensive range of different clubs and organizations such as Japanese Culture club, Student Government, Geology club and many more. There will be a total of about 15 or more clubs participating in the two-day event.

“The purpose of the Club Fair is to showcase your club and recruit new members,” Arizona regional and chapter president of Phi Theta Kappa, Alexandria Rausch said.

Rausch said she advocates for everyone to take a look at the fair while in between classes. Rausch also said that everyone running the assorted clubs are always very friendly and it is easy to go up to them and start a conversation.

To advertise, the clubs will have trifolds, posters, flyers, pamphlets and any other materials that show off what their organizations do. Students are welcome to walk up to the tables to find out more information as they please. Geology club even plans to have an interactive portion to their table. Students can see firsthand all different types of rocks and minerals.

Clubs try their hardest to catch the attention of others. Many believe that more members provide for different viewpoints, increased interactions, and an ability to create a legacy.

“I think in general that if people are open to getting to know a club, that is already a good first step,” Nicole Arnold, one of the leaders of Christian Challenge, said.

Christian Challenge’s table will include a portion where students can solve riddles for prizes. Arnold said that it allows for fellowship amongst students.

Phi Theta Kappa, one of the honors societies offered at GCC, will be setting up their own table as well.

Rausch said that she hopes to acquire upwards of 50 new students to sign up for their email service. While Phi Theta Kappa is an honors’ only program, Rausch said that she encourages everyone to sign up because there are many provisional members that attend chapter meetings despite not being officially recruited.

The Club fair will be held again at the North campus Feb. 19 and 20 from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the A building courtyard. Clubs specific to the North campus, such as the GCC North Hiking Club, will have booths set up similar to the main campus.

All students are encouraged to check out the fair on both campuses. For more information, visit the GCC website or contact the Student Leadership Center.