Phoenix College celebrates 100 years of serving students

Phoenix College is celebrating its 100th year in helping students “go far close to home” this year. There are a variety of celebrations going on for the 2020-21 school year including a time-capsule unveiling and banner display.

The time capsule unveiling took place Tuesday, Jan. 28 from 9 a.m. to11 a.m. at the John Paul Theater on Phoenix College’s campus.

PC is one of the oldest community colleges in the country. Another way this milestone was commemorated was with a new banner now flying high outside Phoenix City Hall downtown.

Current PC students are enjoying the festivities at their college.

“It’s cool that the school has been a thing for a decade, community colleges are usually smaller, it is cool that this one has lasted 100 years!”  Paloma Martinez, a second-year student majoring in deaf studies, said

When Phoenix College opened in the 1920s, the college’s average class size was 18 students and it was operating out of three small cottages. Now it sits on 52 acres and total enrollment surpasses 12,000. But leaders at PC said that they will never forget the founding men and women who made this institute what it is today.

Another event celebrating the birthday will take place on September 14, 2020, 100 years and one day after the very first semester of Phoenix Junior College started. To add to this huge milestone, many participants will gather to contribute and donate thousands for the 100 Year-Affair Sponsorship, which will assist in helping many deserving and hardworking students succeed in their education, which takes place later in the year on Nov. 21.

Many students have trust in the knowledge of the faculty at Phoenix College.

“I really like PC and the vibes around the school. It’s really nice walking around campus and I know that I can always go and get extra help on my work, it doesn’t matter what subject,” Emmanuel Gomez, who is in his second and final year earning an Associates in Arts, said.

On top of the many changes over the years, the most visible ones have been the beautiful architecture that has gone up. The campus has a mixture of tall burgundy brick buildings, standing beside newer, more modern glass and metallic architecture.

Through its century of service, PC continues to grow and improve.