Extended tutoring services offered for students at EMCC

AVONDALE, Ariz. — Estrella Mountain Community College is now providing math, science and writing tutoring services for any students enrolled in a course from any school within the Maricopa County Community College District.

Students who commute to EMCC are encouraged to take advantage of the tutoring services they are providing.

According to school officials, students who use tutoring services tend to do much better in their classes compared to students that never attend tutoring.  It can be difficult for students to have one-on-one interactions with their instructors since some classes seat several students at a time.

Instructors often recommend to their students to seek out tutoring since it allows for students to be taught the information once again in a more personal matter.  Tutors will also work with students at their own pace, so it may be easier for the student to grasp the material from the class.

There are several students who are enrolled at multiple colleges due to commuting issues or lack of availability for certain courses.  This was the case for third-year college student Adan Partida.  Partida takes most of his classes at Glendale Community College but is enrolled in one class at EMCC.

“If it were up to me, I would take all my courses at Estrella since it is much closer to my house.  But since they only offer certain courses for my major at GCC, I have to make the drive every other day … it works out when I do attend my class at EMCC since I use their tutoring services … sometimes I even go to EMCC for tutoring even if I don’t have class since it’s so close to home,” Partida said.

Thousands of students like him within MCCCD have to take courses from different colleges in order to complete some programs.

Eli Mercado, an algebra tutor from the Academic Success Center, encourages students that are taking courses at other colleges to seek out tutoring at their nearest MCCCD campus to them.

“I think a lot of students think we won’t know how to tutor them if their classes aren’t on our campus.  But, math for example, is a subject that can be taught to anyone.  I think a lot of students forget this,” Mercado said.

Chris McNeal, Learning Associate for Math Success at the Academic Success Center, says he has seen plenty of students take advantage of this opportunity.

“Our sister school Glendale is where we get most of our visits from.  Since it is the nearest campus, a lot of students take advantage of the resources we provide and our able to receive tutoring services from courses they are taking at the other colleges,” McNeal said.

The EMCC Academic Success Center, where tutoring takes place, reported a record-breaking number of students last semester.  School officials say the numbers continue to increase each semester.

As of now, EMCC only offers math, science and writing tutoring to outside students.  Reading, language and occupational programs tutoring services must be used at a student’s home school.  EMCC offers tutoring services from Monday through Saturday. For hours and location, check this website: https://www.estrellamountain.edu/students/tutoring