GCC holds events for Domestic Violence Awareness Month

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and special events are being held at Glendale Community College, surrounding schools and throughout the community. GCC is hosting events to extend information about domestic violence, and to let victims and families know they are not alone.

From Oct. 22-31, the college is lighting the Student Union purple, the official color of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and also will sponsor a Women Rising Diaper Drive. The State Capitol building in downtown Phoenix will also be lit up in purple light, throughout October.

According to the campus website, throughout the month the GCC Women Rising Chapter is collecting diapers and baby wipes for the New Leaf Domestic Abuse Centers. Throughout the campus there will be Women Rising drop boxes so anyone can contribute to the cause.”

From Oct. 23-25 organizers are holding a Clothesline Shirt Making Party from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Student Union.

Guests are invited to come in and make a shirt, and be able to tell their story in a safe and comfortable environment.

From Oct. 23-31 all the artwork from the event will be on display from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.  “The purpose of the project is to increase awareness, destabilize stereotypes about ‘victims,’ celebrate a person’s strength to survive, and to provide another avenue to courageously break the silence that often surrounds these experiences.”

In 1981, National Domestic Violence Awareness month was established by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Making this a time of unity and standing up for those who have survived and individuals who are impacted. Domestic violence affects people from every gender, race, religion, status, and culture.

Maricopa Community College District’s twitter account posted about Domestic Violence Awareness Month, which was also retweeted by GCC, about the month of October. Another source is the Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence which provides information and resources readily available to everyone for free. Along with the Maricopa Association of Governments which has an event calendar. Events that consist of awareness, fundraisers, festivals and more through October.

For more information on local events, visit https://domesticviolence.az.gov/.