GCC Nursing hosts “Mini Health Fair”

Lauren Egelin

An informative presentation on hypertension at the GCC Mini Health Fair October 11, 2019 in Glendale, Ariz.

Lauren Egelin
Amy Jonas
An informative presentation on sun health at the GCC Mini Health Fair October 11, 2019 in Glendale, Ariz.

Glendale Community College’s main campus hosted another Health Fair where nursing majors, local clinics and health organizations educated the community.

The fair took place Oct. 11th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the main quarters of campus. Students and staff will be provided with monumental information regarding physical wellness, mental health, and even sex education.

“I am looking forward to the Health Fair this year because I get to help set up a booth and I am hoping it is as eventful as it was last year,” nursing student Amber Wilson said. Wilson recommends attending the fair since “every student can benefit from it.”

Last year’s Health Fair included sponsors from places like Dignity Health, United Blood Services (now known as Vitalant), inHarmony, FastMed Urgent Care, Arizona State University, and more. Sponsors came together with fellow GCC students, providing on-site fitness classes, free blood pressure exams, and even free condoms that came with HIV awareness pamphlets. Fitness instructors attended the event to offer free yoga classes, Zumba, and tai chi.

“This year I know I am excited to attend the event because I get to be a part of the Mental Health Club booth,” nursing major Angel Madrid said. Madrid expressed her commitment to the Mental Health Club by encouraging everyone to attend and get some free education.

On YouTube, a short video of the 2018 Health Fair can be found, where you can see the different activities that were offered at the event. There is even a short glimpse of two “Star Wars” fans having a lightsaber duel. On the GCC website there are also several photos of the event where you can see its success and all the hard work put into it.

Those that attended this event could learn a lot, including CPR, which paramedics were on-site teaching. Looking back on last year’s photos, many students took the time to go deeper on specific topics. These included the difference between heat stroke and heart stroke, what it means to be diagnosed with Post-traumatic stress disorder, and what a healthy diet and exercising can do.

Encouraging health in the community could mean great things for the future, and sustaining a healthy life. Opportunities were even given to help other lives by donating blood through Vitalant.

All nursing majors, professors, and sponsors who took the time to create a presentation and entertainment for this event will be very grateful to those that showed their support by being in attendance. Learning about health is important and GCC recognizes that, by creating these events at least twice a year. The event also gave nursing majors the opportunity to check out local clinics and neighboring universities, for transfer or a future career path.