Gauchos volleyball team prepares to take on Yavapai College

The Glendale Community College Lady Gauchos are getting ready to fight for the top of the conference standings against Yavapai College Oct. 16.

The GCC volleyball team has been on fire this year, with an overall record of 19-2 and a conference record of 8-1.

The team’s only loss in conference play was at Scottsdale Community College, where the Artichokes defeated the Gauchos 3-1. The Artichokes are also one of two teams remaining that are undefeated in conference play.

The Lady Gauchos are currently third in the conference rankings and are looking strong as they’ve won five straight games. The next scheduled game for the Lady Gauchos will be against Yavapai College, who are currently second in the rankings and undefeated in conference play.

The last time these two teams met was Oct. 12, 2018, where the Lady Roughriders defeated the Lady Gauchos 3-2. The game was very close, with each team taking turns winning a set. The Lady Gauchos were up 2-1 when the Lady Roughriders won 2 sets in a row and ultimately, the game.

However, this season the Lady Gauchos have been on fire and are looking to avenge last year’s season. They have a total of 11 shutout wins this season alone, and three against conference teams.

Another notable win from the Lady Gauchos this season has been against Arizona Western College with a score of 3-1. The game was an away game for GCC Oct. 9. The game altogether was a pretty close one, regardless of the score. The first two sets were won by the Lady Gauchos by two points each, until the Lady Matadors won the third set, making the game 2-1. The Lady Gauchos ended the game with a 25-17 set victory.

To be a great team you have to have great players, like Glendale’s Karysa Rackley, who won the ACCAC player of the week award during the week of Sept. 23rd-30th for her fantastic play. Other notable players for the Gauchos this season are Breanna Allen, who is currently averaging 3.47 kills per set and 229 in total. Annika Payne is also currently top five in the conference for digs this season, averaging 4.25 per set and 310 in total.

Many students are excited about the season that the Lady Gauchos are having.

“I think having a good sports program has a positive impact on the school because it will attract more students to that school,” GCC student Bryan Audelo said.

Students are also proud of the sports programs in their school.

“Knowing that our sports teams are doing well is good because it makes everyone feel proud of the Gaucho community,” GCC student Emiliano Sarmiento said. “I would be interested in going to a game to support our teams. I think it’s an important part of the student experience to support your peers”.

The upcoming game against Yavapai is an important one for the Lady Gauchos as it could inch them closer to the number one spot in the conference. Both teams are coming off of wins and are looking to continue their win streak heading into the postseason.

The game is set to start at 7:00 p.m. in the GCC gymnasium.